Sunday, February 05, 2012

Forty Hours

I am working full time again. I've lost track of time but it's been about five years since I started slipping into retirement. First, I reduced to eleven months then to four days per week and then to twenty-four hours per week. Now, I'm supposed to be working forty hours but last week I worked forty-two. I've established a schedule of working 5 AM to 6 AM from home and 8 AM to 5 PM in the office. This means I need only three hours in the office on Friday.

Actually, I don't mind the increase in hours. We're in the midst of a major system upgrade that has to be completed by October 2012. At first I was approached about increasing my hours in April but last month that request was changed to as soon as possible.

After this upgrade is complete we begin another major year-long upgrade that I think will be interesting. Next month I'm going to Nashville for a conference in preparation for the second upgrade.

Ironically, in December Julie completed the necessary document to qualify me for Medicare but I doubt I'll take advantage of it anytime soon. At present I plan working anther five years. But, as soon as possible, I'm hoping to reduce to four days per week.

One of the disadvantages of this change is that I have no desire to turn on a computer in the evenings. We get home about 6 PM and try to get to bed about 9 PM which leaves little time for blogging. I have a backlog of several items about which to write.

3 Comments:

Blogger Regenia said...

It really helps that you like your work. I've personally always been thankful that I've had jobs I like and, for the most part, people I work with who I enjoy.

On a different note, how did we get old enough to even have anything about Medicare in a sentence talking about ourselves?!

2/06/2012 06:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Alex (the comic blasphemer) Pendragon said...

9 PM? I'm lucky to even get to sleep by midnight. I do find myself actually slipping into bed by 10, but I read a few chapters and listen to some music to finish out my day.

2/06/2012 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

I agree, it is lucky you love your work, but I'm sorry you don't have as much time to spend with your home, blogging and other loves. May this time move swiftly, with plenty of breaks doing the things you love the most.

4/07/2012 07:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home