Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

We've had an enjoyable Christmas Eve.

This year Julie and I decided not to exchange gifts and we don't decorate so Christmas is much like any other day. Rather than exchanging gifts we try to do something together. I prefer this approach.

Julie baked bread this afternoon which I took out of the oven and photographed. She's been using her grandmother's dutch oven which was manufactured in Holland -- a true Dutch oven. The bread has been excellent.

Bread and Dutch Oven


A loaf of bread Julie baked in her grandmother's Dutch oven.


I worked on the greenhouse much of the day. I had to move a water hydrant which I installed a few years ago in what I thought was an out-of-the-way location. The addition of the greenhouse resulted in the hydrant being located just outside the doorway. The digging was fairly easy after breaking through the top six inches of ground which was frozen. I knew I had buried the waterline well below the frost line. As I dug I discovered I had buried it about thirty-six inches deep.

Greenhouse Shadows


The shadows of rafters on the north wall of the greenhouse and the shadows of studs on the south wall on the ground.


Today I installed the first piece of polycarbonate. Fortunately there was only a slight breeze because the panels are six feet by twelve feet in size. I had hoped to install on Thursday or Friday but the weather didn't cooperate. I need one more day of calm weather to complete the enclosure before beginning on inside tasks.

Julie and I worked most of the day and walked almost five miles for exercise but it was a pleasant day of leisurely work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous alex Pendragon said...

hmmm....yummy!

12/27/2011 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

Well, let me get caught up a little bit with your blog.

Somehow I can see something on TV, the web, a blog, somewhere and then I read about it. Or maybe I read about it first. Would you believe I could not sleep last night so, like always, I read. The book is historical fiction about WWII. Of course, one of the characters made bread in a Dutch oven! I've never done that but would like to. It would be fun and the bread looks delicious. How neat for Julie to have her grandmother's pot! Dutch ovens are cast iron, right?

Your Christmas Eve sounds fun!

You will enjoy your breakfast bar and having your living space in the sun room sounds great. I thought that room was wonderful! Look forward to hearing what the next project is.

I doubt that really catches me up, but it will start.

12/28/2011 06:26:00 AM  
Blogger graceonline said...

Your life off the grid always sounds so satisfying. I can almost smell that loaf and feel the sun on my face. Will there be a sitting spot in the green house too? Or all plants?

12/28/2011 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger graceonline said...

Paul, please delete this comment after you read it. I just wanted to check in and see if you had received my email following our convo on my blog last month. Hope your time off was everything you wanted it to be and much more!

1/05/2012 12:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home