Friday, December 31, 2010

Minor Setback

Today didn't happen as planned and the bedroom remodel is a few hours behind schedule.

Yesterday was cloudy so in the evening I was running the generator when I heard it stop unexpectedly. The error indicated low voltage which caused me to suspect low propane pressure. I checked the propane tanks and both were empty.

I knew we were using far more propane than usual and I had checked the supply by looking at the indicator to determine which task was being used. The indicator was set on the first tank which should have meant the second tank was full. Not so. It appears the regulator is malfunctioning. The indicator did not switch properly.

Fortunately, we have a small 20 pounds cylinder that was almost half full. I connected it to the system until we could get the two 100 pounds cylinders filled today, new year's eve. We drove to town this morning hoping for a quick trip.

The first place was closed, the second had a frozen pump and an employee told me of a third business with a frozen pump. We phoned two other places -- closed. We called U-Haul and learned they were open but propane cost 64 cents more per gallon than the place I normally use. We drove to their location but left without propane. A young woman about 19 years old said she couldn't fill the cylinders because I had them lying on their sides and the value may be hung even if I stood them up. The cylinders don't have OPD valves but I didn't argue with her. She is an employee following the instructions given her.

By this time it was getting close to noon so Julie and I stopped for lunch. As we drove to a restaurant we passed a tool rental place that I've been by many times and entered a few times to buy parts. I noticed a large propane tank that had escaped my attention in the past. After lunch we went to the rental business and had the tanks filled.

We got home late in the day and I cut trim for a window while Julie put another coat of paint on jambs and crown molding. Also, I tested a solution to fix the low spot in the floor.

Tomorrow we paint the walls and install the flooring -- barring another necessary but unexpected trip to town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You'll have a happier New Year with a full tank.

12/31/2010 09:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home