Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sixty-fifth

I am in my sixty-fifth year and have been for a few days.

To celebrate the beginning Julie and I did something we haven't done in a while -- geocaching. The cache closest to our house is less than four miles. It's a volcanic protrusion over 50 feet tall. We drove close and walked to the outcropping and explored around it.

Volcanic protrusion. Volcanic protrusion over 50 feet tall.


Home in the distance. Home is to the left of the hills.


Julie. Julie said "let me take your first picture of the year". I did and replied "let me take yours". I like her photo much better!


The morning of my birthday Julie gave me two small books as gifts . The first book is on the subject of designing chicken houses but it's the second book that I found so entertaining. The book is Recipe for Raising Chickens by Minnie Rose Lovgreen. Mrs. Lovgreen was born in 1888 in Norfolk County, England, left home at age 11 and later booked passage on the Titanic to immigrate to Canada. She took another ship and made a safe voyage to Montreal. A few months before she died in 1975 she published her book.

I found the book entertaining due to her personality that comes through in quaint sayings, homey perspectives and brief anecdotes. It's not a masterpiece of literature but it's a small (31 pages) pleasant glimpse into another time.

Julie made sure my sixty-fifth year began right.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday.

12/27/2010 06:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Alex Pendragon said...

When I called you "old man" I was only kidding....sheesh, you really ARE an.......experienced fella! Happy 56th! (I alone know you made a grievious typo....)

12/27/2010 06:33:00 PM  
Blogger Lani Urreta said...

Geocaching is the one thing that Jeremy and I planned during his Flagstaff visit that we never got around to doing. I was hoping to move a tracking bug from AZ to VA.

There is so much left to discover in Flagstaff; I'm sure we'll be returning!

1/05/2011 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

A belated happy birthday and wishes for a wonderful year.

1/07/2011 08:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home