Friday, November 16, 2007

End of Summer

A few summer photos in anticipation of cold weather that will come our way -- eventually, hoefully.

.
A beautiful late-afternoon storm coming from the east. (Larger version)




.
The lightning was frequent enough that I was able to get a photo of a distant strike. (Larger version)




.
A feeding frenzy. (Larger version)




.
I found this snake skin in the yard. This summer I saw only one snake that wasn't a Hopi Rattlesnake. (Larger version)




.
I love the broad vistas, big sky and summer clouds. (Larger version)




.
I was working on the opposite side of the house and came around to get a glass of tea when I discovered Julie watching the hummingbirds. (Larger version)




.
A mixture of poor soil was above a hard caliche layer that capped loose cinders. Easy digging once a section of caliche was removed. (Larger version)




.
In the early night, this little guy moved from feeder to feeder, unrolled his proboscis and drank hungrilly. (Larger version)




.
In the late summer we had to be gone for one night. About 9AM we filled five feeders knowing they would be drained before we returned shortly after noon the next day. We "lost" about 30 birds. They moved on to find other feeders. Appears loyalty and allegiance last only as long as the food. But, on the positive side, after that weekend we saved on sugar and time preparing and filling feeders. (Larger version)


3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Great pictures, Paul. I surely do love a desert landscape. I don't know how long it would take me to weary of the vista if I lived there full time. When I lived away from an abundance of tree there seemed always to be a wrongness. But I really like the desert.

Always something, ay?

11/16/2007 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Mysti said...

You and Julie have a spectacular spot on this Earth. Thanks for the photos.. They make me dreamy! :)

11/18/2007 07:26:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I love how you find the beauty that is not so easily evident in a barren landscape.

11/18/2007 02:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home