Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Premature Update

A few high clouds and thin smoke from a controlled burn to the southwest created a haze below the setting sun. I unlocked the front door to the house, checked the meter in the kitchen that monitors the batteries (100% - full) and checked the temperature in the house -- 77 degrees. I opened the door to the greenhouse or solar room and felt a rush of heat. The temperature was 94 degrees and had peaked at 103 sometime during the day before the smoke and clouds had weakened the sunlight.

At 5:30 AM this morning the temperature outside was about 33. There was a thin layer of ice on the bird water. The temperature in the greenhouse had dropped to 63 degrees. The temperature of the water in the bottom of the barrels was higher.

The greenhouse isn't finished but is partially functioning. I have some flashing, caulk and trim to install outside. Most of the insulation has been installed in the east and west walls and the ceiling. A week and a half ago before insulation and before some major air leaks had been closed I shut the exterior door to let it heat up. It peaked at 110 degrees.

This is going to work! The real test will come in January but it's looking positive. I know I can get well over 50% of our heat and am interested in how close I can get to the ultimate goal of surpassing 90%.

I have yet to enclose the east end for the solar closet. I'm not ready to install the water-filled barrels but I partially filled a few barrels. I have far less than 25% of the eventual total that will be used for heat storage. The floor is dirt at this point. Today Julie and I are going to a local business to pick out the stone that will be used for the flooring.

This project has consumed our weekends for the last several months. Julie and I are taking a break this coming weekend. We're going south to swim, hike and just be lazy.

This is a premature update but I'm excited and optimistic!

6 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

I came, I read, I departed a happier person.

11/06/2007 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

hmmmm......I wonder (no pun intended) if could do the same thing on the front of my place with pvc pipe and some plastic wrap..........Probably not........

11/06/2007 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

I think you could use it as a sauna in summer and make a few quid..............

11/07/2007 03:01:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

Hot dayammmm!

The stones will absorb some of the heat during the day and give it back at night...maybe

Plans for a hot tub in the greenhouse during the winter?

and, finally, you may want to take a look at: http://cansolair.com/

foxy guy like you, you'll probably be able to figure out how to lift the technology and do it your own way.

Tim

11/08/2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Oh! you're so active, Paul. I was born a mechanical idiot and have been smart enough (and lucky enough from my point of view) to let my dear wife do all the mechanical stuff (besides tennis). I had a life long preacher friend, Joe from N.C. He's still wedded to the theology of "work for the night is coming". Long ago I brushed past the flaming Cherubim back to the place where work is neither required nor expected. Happy am I.

Of course I realize that your efforts are not work, but play, which makes all the difference.

11/12/2007 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

Thanks for the update. I must say, I didn't know it got so cold in Arizona. The wisdom of your greenhouse is much clearer now.

11/12/2007 04:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home