Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Very Good Weekend

“The battery is dead.”

The division of labor gives me the responsibility of removing the tire covers while Julie unlocks the door and starts the engine. She discovered the battery problem.

I checked the voltage and it was 11 point something but the house batteries held a good charge. I depressed the battery button on the dash that engages the house batteries and the engine started immediately.

We discovered two more issues. We had left the chocolate at home and we had a bottle of wine without a corkscrew. Two sites from us a family was sitting outside cuddling a new grand baby. We asked and they loaned us a corkscrew. We had plans to investigate a new health food store in Phoenix so we added chocolate to the shopping list.

All problems solved!

The weekend was wonderful! For the last seven or eight weeks we had worked constantly without a full day’s break. During this time I took vacation every Friday except one and two Thursdays to work on the greenhouse addition. I enjoyed the work but it was time for a break.

We met several new couples in the hot tub. Bonnie and Dennis from Minnesota are spending the winter so we hope to see them again. A man from northern California gave us several tips based on his trips to Mexico. A Montana couple was visiting for a week. They own a resort near Billings that we hope to visit some day. A gentleman from Jackson Hole, Wyoming works in the movie industry. He mentioned working on “No Country for Old Men” which opened recently and entertained us with stories about Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Redford. One of the most interesting persons was a retired banker from Saskatchewan. He carried himself with confidence, humility and a pleasant demeanor.

I did something on Sunday that I rarely do. About one o’clock I lay on the bed with a book and woke up two hours later. I don’t enjoy sleeping during the day and it wasn’t planned but it was welcomed.

Occasionally, Julie and I discuss selling the motorhome because we don’t use it as much as we’d like. But, then we have weekends like this – weekends that are relaxing, refreshing and rejuvenating – and we decide to keep it.

What about the dead battery? I’m experienced at procrastination so I ignored it until another time. This was a weekend to float in the pool, eat chocolate, watch a DVD (an episode of "Foyle's War"), read, try new foods and meet old and new friends in the hot tub.

It was a good weekend -- a very good weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

What a wonderful post.

11/15/2007 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess we were both away for the weekend, and I think we both had a good one. I think I got a very nice note from you about catching up on my blog. But I can't find it again to make sure. However, assuming I am not going bonkers, I wish to thank you for the comment.

11/15/2007 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Big sigh.

11/15/2007 11:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home