Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In This Moment

On Monday evening as I passed his house I thought about inviting him, his wife and another couple to supper in a couple weeks. Yesterday morning Julie received an email that he had drowned off Catalina Island while snorkeling for lobster in 25 feet of water. He was young -- about 30.

This past summer he and his wife walked to our house and were caught by a heavy rain. We pulled out towels, hot tea and coffee. We sat on the deck talking, watching the rain and the birds visiting the feeders during breaks in the showers. After the rain ended we drove them home and he gave me a Prayer Plant and a Crown of Thorns that he had rooted.

The plants were important to me. Now, they are more valuable reminders to live in the present moment.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

I'm truly sorry for your loss and the loss of the opportunity for that relationship to develop.

What I also want to say is, "aw shit!"

If I may, in light of your comment on my blog yesterday, what is needing to be heard here?

He came in rain and left in water.

I'm sure you and Julie will look after his wife.

Tim

10/17/2007 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Other than to acknowledge the loss and the grief that follows in its wake it is virtually impossible to comment on such a seemingly senseless tragedy.

10/17/2007 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

LIfe leaves of it's own accord, not when we deem it most appropriate. Sorry, Paul.

10/17/2007 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

most certainly

10/18/2007 05:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home