Friday, November 02, 2007

Time (Mis)management

I knew it would be high but didn't expect it to be 153. I just opened Google Reader and found 153 blog entries of people that I follow. I read Athiests, Wiccans and Christians; old hippies and young farmers; poets, philosophers and scientists; photographers and essayists.

Rolling around in my heard are 20 to 25 ideas that I'd like to post on this blog. Recently I had an article published in the local Flagstaff newspaper which was also published on the county's master gardener blog. I have other articles in draft form and several ideas waiting.

Multiple projects at home need finishing, wilderness areas await exploration, books go unread and two alert lights on the dash of the car burn brightly.

There's not enough time.

I find it easy to earn and manage money. Time isn't so easy. I can't earn more and must accept the allotment that I and all receive.

I've had a realization that keeps growing and positioning itself in my consciousness: "work gets in the way of living". It's getting close to the time when I'm going to work part time or quit or retire or just not show up.

My theology has distilled itself to "life is a gift to be enjoyed". For me, enjoyment means a balance of work and play, activity and rest, selfishness and selflessness, family/friends and solitude, time to "do" and time simply to "be".

The greater fear for me is not that I'll run out of money before I retire but that I'll not take enough time to explore, learn, make memories, try, fail, dream and love.

5 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm said...

much appreciated that you found time to visit my blog and even to leave a comment!

11/02/2007 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Well now you must learn to eat an elephant!
Do it a little bit at a time.

11/02/2007 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Work is what we do to pay for all the things we would like to do - if we had the time.

Now I'm off to read the article you had published on the gardner blog.

11/02/2007 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a difficult balancing act, but I'm sure you'll continue to manage to live a very full life whatever you decide.

11/03/2007 06:28:00 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Time, too, is always the thing I'm short of... more money would be nice, more time would be nicer. Too many things that interest me!

11/06/2007 06:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home