Tuesday, October 11, 2005

When Elvis Died

"I didn't like his music. I didn't follow his career but I should have known how important he was to many people. I failed my church."

The above was posted on a seminary bulletin board. Though I can't remember the exact words I can clearly remember reading it because it was true. We should be involved in the world about us. We should listen to family, friends, co-workers and the strangers we encounter and have some knowledge of their experiences and values. Our world should be larger than our personal interests.

My wife and I are trying to age gracefullly. One of the things that we have done is watch television targeted for young people -- MTV, VH1, etc. We do it without being critical. We were young once and older people didn't like our music and dress. We remember the experience without fondness. So, we listen and watch and try to find the good in it and overlook the parts that we find objectionable. We try to put ourselves in the place of young people. I think they have a tougher world than we had.

Watching and listening slows the aging process. It exercises our mental and emotional muscles. More importantly, it helps prevent us from slipping into a narrow, lifeless world of our own creation.

1 Comments:

Blogger George Breed said...

i wonder,thank you for this posting.
Yes! Engaging while not clinging is the practice I keep practicing. Your ponderings are appreciated.

10/12/2005 11:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home