Thursday, September 29, 2005

Am I Moral?

I'm wondering when the word conservative became synonymous with moral.

Does this mean a liberal can't be moral?

What does it mean to be moral? One definition of moral is "conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior". Whose standards?

Some groups believe that a woman is immoral if she exposes her face to the public. Is congress prepared to define moralilty for us and settle this question of whether women should wear a veil?

Since we're redefining words I think I'll avoid the word moral and focus on being ethical. I choose to be ethical.

To me, ethical means I'm responsible to listen, learn, evaluate, think and make decisions. Ethical means I have some principles that guide me in this process -- integrity, respect, tolerance, honesty, lovingkindness, reverence for life. Using these I'll arrive at decisions.

In the end, it doesn't matter if you think I'm moral or immoral -- liberal or conservative. What matters is whether I think I made a good faith effort to work toward a better world where morality varies but lovingkindness is constant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

TAO TE CHING QUOTE

"When the true path is lost then morality takes over."
To me this means that morality is a poor substitute for being 'in love with life'. I am not suggesting that we dispense with morality -rather that there is something more trustworthy if we can bring ourselves to feel it.

10/07/2005 04:54:00 AM  
Blogger Beardedoverland said...

"Is congress prepared to define moralilty for us" Nope, we define it. That is not the job of Congress. It is not the place for Government to rule of morality. It is ours.

4/12/2010 08:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home