Sunday, August 01, 2010


Three weeks and three days since my last post. Several things have happened during my absence.

Julie and I celebrated our tenth anniversary. We didn't exchange gifts or cards. We spent unstructured time together without an agenda or plans. When the weekend was over we had walked a historic residential section of Flagstaff, visited a community garden, had supper at a Mexican restaurant, browsed a store selling used items and stopped by the farmer's market. We always celebrate our anniversary in some way. This was not the biggest or longest or most expensive celebration but it was good.

(BTW: When we had been married a year or two and our anniversary was approaching Julie asked me the date we got married. I knew it was in July but couldn't remember the day. Naturally, I didn't want to admit this. I responded in some evasive way with a teasing comment, she pressed for the date and I tried another defensive comment. In the end we both admitted the truth. Neither of us could remember the day. We had to get our marriage certificate to know when we got married.)

We've been landscaping the yard. The local arboretum has an annual plant sale. We attended and bought several plants to add to the ones we bought in Santa Fe. To these we added more from a local nursery. In the fall we'll plant seeds of several native perennials. Hopefully, next year we'll have a good start on native xeric landscaping.

A few years ago I could sit on the floor with my feet extended in front of me and reach a few inches beyond my toes. That is no longer true. Some days at work after sitting for a few hours I find myself stiff and achy. Julie has been stretching daily for two or three years and doing some yoga. I did join her for a while but got busy and stopped. Recently we agreed to adjust our schedule: to bed by 8:30, read until 9:00, get up at 4 AM to stretch and walk before work. I'm amazed by the difference I have experienced in just three weeks. This time I vow not to quit.

The garden has done fairly well. During one of the hot sunny days when the temperature peaked at about 101 we arrived home to find wilting squash leaves. I took a hose, watered them and changed the timer to give them more water. The next day the same thing happened. I discovered I had mistakenly turned off the faucet to the timer which is close to a hose faucet. But in the end no harm was done. It is doing so well that we are giving away more squash than we are keeping.

Several other good things have happened but summer is not a good time for blogging. There's too much sunshine, too much work, too many enjoyable options. Hopefully, I won't be absent for another three weeks.


Anonymous Alex Pendragon said...

Don't feel bad, my freind. The Wife and I are always having a hard time remembering how long exactly we've been married, although we usually remember the date fairly well, due to it being close to but not on friday the 13th!

8/02/2010 08:16:00 AM  
Blogger Wanda said...

Paul, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment today. I appreciate the visit. I will be in Phoenix for a week at the end of the month to attend a wedding. Any chance you go to Phoenix ever? Shoot me an email. Thanks.

Oh, and congratulations to you and Julie on 10 years.

8/03/2010 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

Congratulations to you and Julie on ten happy years together! Thanks for catching us up a bit on your garden and summer doings. Thanks too for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you need. I so appreciated that you asked me in return and posted a response for you there.

Whenever you get back to posting, I'll be waiting to see what you've been up to and what's new in your garden.

8/09/2010 03:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home