Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Good Idea

It was early, the air was cool, there was a slight breeze from the southwest and the low sun was hidden behind fading clouds. I was walking alone on the gradual uphill route to the west. I checked my heart rate and it was one-twenty-something. I wanted to push it higher so I increased my pace. After a while I checked my rate again. It wasn't increasing much.

I had an idea, a good idea, that was guaranteed to work. I began jogging.

In high school I hurt my left knee and periodically it reminds me. In 1995 after moving to Texas I was jogging and it swelled up. I gave it a month or two and it wouldn't heal so I saw an orthopedic doctor at a sports and occupational clinic. His response was "You're getting older. Don't jog."

It used to be that I could tell how far I had hiked by my knee. After five miles it would make a request to stop -- a request that I ignored. For the last few years it has been fine and pain free unless I did several miles downhill on a steep grade.

Back to Monday morning. I jogged, got my hear rate up and felt fine. About noon I was getting a load of water and sat down on the ground in the shade while waiting for the tank to fill. As I sat there I noticed my left knee feeling a little strange. As the day went on it complained more.

On Tuesday, had I lost all feeling, I would have been aware of my knee because I could hear an obvious clunking noise as I walked. Today the knee doesn't want to bend ninety degrees.

OK, this will pass in a few weeks. Actually, I enjoy it. It's a pleasant little annoyance that reminds me I'm alive and encourages me not to take my youth, health, abilities and transient good times for granted.

After this heals I'm going to try jogging again. But this time I'll do it a little different. I think I'll start with level smooth ground and wear something other than my hiking boots.

3 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm said...

unfortunately I've been experiencing rather too many of these little reminders that I'm alive - still enjoyed the write though!

7/08/2010 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

Were you walking and then jogging with your 50 pound weight vest that you had used previously during some of your training?

7/16/2010 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

you ok?

Tim

7/24/2010 09:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home