Monday, June 21, 2010

Safe

I understand there is a fire (or fires) near Flagstaff. I learned this through emails, phone calls and instant messages from family and friends. From what I've gathered there is a fire west of home moving notheast. This fire, most likely, will be contained miles from our house. Should it continue spreading, given prevailing winds, it would travel northwest of our property. I doubt it would ever come within ten miles of home.

Julie and I are in Santa Fe, New Mexico, for an annual gathering with her sister, her cousin and spouses.

Yesterday evening we were discussing these annual adventures and reconstructed this history.
  • 2004 - Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
  • 2005 - Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
  • 2006 - Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
  • 2007 - Colorado Springs, Colorado (Julie and I missed this one)
  • 2008 - Ouray, Colorado
  • 2009 - Buenva Vista, Colorado
  • 2010 - Santa Fe, New Mexico
This morning we participated in a docent led walking tour of historic Santa Fe. On Wednesday we are diving to Amarillo, Texas, to visit Julie's father and mother. We'll return to Santa Fe on Thursday and drive home on Sunday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Hi Paul,

I'm curious if you can do anything to protect your area should there be a wind driven fire. Fire perimeter, a hose connected to your cisterns, to wet things down, etc.

Re Santa Fe: I was there several years ago and have wonderful memories of my visit.

While there I went to the labrynth (I might be using the wrong word for that)at the Catholic Church just off the square. It was a maze that you can walk, circular, with many switch backs and false paths. You can walk it as a game, or get into the spirit of it and, among other things take it as a meditative exercise, which helps to clear the mind.

I went in with a "request," and put no pressure or expectation. What "came" to me was something entirely different from earlier in my life. Let me simply say that it was a gift of being reminded of some horrendous behavior on my part from earlier in my life.

I took it as an "opening" through which stuff which I would rather push away and pretend wasn't there, came through. I guess you could say that I was gifted with a "visit" from my "shadow."

I was more complete for having had that heartfelt experience. Happy journeying.

Tim

6/21/2010 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Good to hear you are safe. I've thought about you guys each morning as I watch the news.

6/22/2010 02:35:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Tim,

I have three Junipers that I should probably cut that are a little close to the house. I know better but I like the trees. In theory, if I was home and if a serious fire was moving in my direction I would cut the trees and pull them some distance from the house. I try to keep the cisterns above half full which means I would have about 3000 gallons or more on hand to attempt to protect the house and other structures. In two years I hope to replace my roof with metal to facilitate rainwater harvesting and cooling. This would be a benefit for fire protection. Basically I would confront a grass fire in sparse bunch grass so I don't feel much concern. I do take fire seriously, I have fire extinguishers on the outside of my main utility building, in the kitchen, in the utility room by the exterior door and outside our bedroom door. We are too remote to phone a fire department.

I would like to see the inside of the church off the square. I took photos of the exterior today and will post them later in the week.

I anticipated this week not with a "request" but with a "vow". I vowed to avoid all negativity, any tendency to find fault with people and any reaction other than accepting what I encounter without thought or judgement. Obviously, there's a story here not for this blog.

This afternoon I read an essay entitled "Open Season" in which Sapolsky discusses our tendency to narrow with age and to avoid novelty. He finishes with this statement: "An open mind is a prerequisite to an open heart." I like that statement. I like it a lot.

It's been a good week thus far. Next week I hope to be able to say that I too am more complete for having some experiences in Santa Fe during a season when I was open.

6/22/2010 09:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home