Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Hot Chicken

It's June, the month when the winds abate and the heat begins, the month before the relief of July's afternoon monsoon clouds.

By 9 AM on Sunday it was 95 degrees. I was working on our shed roof when Julie called me for lunch. The temperature was 104. By the time I finished eating it had climbed to 106.7 degrees and the humidity had dropped to 9 percent. One hundred degrees with low humidity and a breeze isn't bad if out of the sun. Later in the afternoon I worked a while longer until I decided I had enough sun on my legs.

Julie is caring for a neighbor's chickens and cats. Her first visit was on Friday and the chickens were out of water. She got a bowl of water while I found, cleaned and filled a watering can.

I think the last time I had chickens was in 1978. We moved to a small rural community and my son who was 8 or 9 years old asked for chickens and pigs. I told him he might get chickens but don't count on pigs. Within a few months we had chickens, nine pigs, rabbits, and dogs.

Hopefully next year we'll be prepared for chickens. Watching and listening to them is soothing and relaxing.

Temperature.
106.7 degrees outside; 83.5 degrees inside.



Temperature.
Thirsty chickens drinking from a bowl while waiting for a watering can to be cleaned and filled.



Temperature.
Watering can.



Temperature.
Collecting eggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home