Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Strange Plants

Our lithops is producing new leaves!

Over the years I looked at lithops in nurseries and was fascinated by them. Lithops are known as "living stones" and "pebble plants". The plant consists of two succulent leaves, no tall stalk, an unusual appearance somewhat like an inverted elephant foot.

Last November I bought a lithops at a nursery in Amarillo that we visit each time we're in Texas. Once I over watered it and one of the leaves swelled and developed a small split. Now the two leaves are wrinkled and separating as four new leaves are emerging. I hope to maintain the correct environment so the plant blossoms in fall. Another interesting experience would be to propagate it.

Lithops.
Lithops on the left and an unknown succulent on the right.


At the time we bought the lithops we bought another succulent that obviously had a strange leaf lying next to the stalk. The clerk said something like "Look, you've got a freebie" and pointed to the leaf. I planted the leaf in the same pot with the lithops and it sprouted. I don't have a clue as to it's identity. With a little luck I'll give it the care it needs and it will grow to large enough to identify.

2 Comments:

Blogger W A Britten said...

Paul -

I used to have a large window garden of mesembryanthemums. Where I live now (Smoky Mountains of Tennessee) the climate is much too humid for them to thrive.
The lithops could go for months without water and be happy.

Bill

5/27/2010 04:07:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Bill,

Yesterday my wife picked up three books at the local library on succulents. She's moving in the direction of reducing the number of plant families. We can't raise plants that need humidity. This week the humidity in the house was 17% and outside it was 14%.

5/28/2010 06:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home