Monday, September 08, 2008

A Nasty Temptation

For some reason I have been tempted over the last two years to post a photo of money -- ones, fives, tens, twenties, hundreds -- with the caption "America, behold your gods!"

Personally, I think the United States is extremely religious but is neither Christian nor devoted to any other organized religion. I think we worship no God but many gods.

Rationally I know greed is not uniquely American and isn't limited to money. Eliminate money and institute a barter system anywhere in the world and a few people will end of with the biggest flocks and the best fields.

It's irritating as hell to live in a consumer society. It's like watching a crime and being unable to prevent it.

OK, this is my dark post for the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Rampant consumerism and rampant greed stroll hand in hand.

9/08/2008 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

It's about TIME you posted something "dark"! Look, you can't depend on me, THE Michael, anymore to do all the bitching and moaning.....YOU guys have to pitch in and do YOUR fair share!

On that note, yes, as long as we place such value and importance on the material standing of individuals, the will BE no value in the individual.

9/08/2008 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

I appreciated this one, too. Someone recently wrote that happiness tends to decrease as one's income surpasses $50k per year.

And I agree - it's irritating as hell to live in a consumer society. And it's irritating that everything requires money, but that there's only so much to go around. It's an obnoxious necessity - and if I didn't need it both to pay the bills and to save to ensure my future, I'd have already quit my job and headed back to school.

9/09/2008 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Julie, I've read about a major book containing research on the relationship between income and happiness. I have yet to find or order the book but it sounded interesting. From what I've read it seems the lower limit on income may be as low as $20,000. However, I assume it depends on who did the research, how, where and when. Regardless, money that alleviates poverty increases happiness up to a point. After that point, more money does not equate to more happiness. I'd like to read the research.

9/09/2008 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home