Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Vacation Fun

Our trip to Kentucky wasn't all work.

On the evening of the day we arrived my daughter's youngest son, Dalton, played the last game of his Little League career. He pitched most of the game. Dustin, my daughter's oldest son, is a pitcher in a Babe Ruth league.

Dalton pitching in a Little League game.
Dalton pitching in a Little League game. (Larger version)


I enjoyed the time we spent with my grandsons though I had less opportunity with my son's three boys -- Aaron, Brett and Chris. We planned a trip to an amusement park that was enjoyable. We rode a water ride repeatedly that got everyone wet. I used to enjoy roller coasters and agreed to ride without hesitation. I discovered having my brain shaken and jarred isn't as much fun as I remembered.

Before our trip Julie made reservations at Historic Rugby which is in Tennessee. We planned a two day break to give us some quiet time together. Our stay in Ruby was wonderful. I will write more about Rugby and include photos.

.
Enjoying the porch of Newbury House at Rugby. (Larger version)


Our drive to Rugby gave us the opportunity to stop by an old mill that was built and operated by Alvin York who was a World War I hero. He never capitalized on his fame but finally agreed to a movie of his heroism in the 1940s in support of the war effort. He was played by Gary Cooper.
Our drive to Rugby gave us the opportunity to stop by an old mill that was built and operated by Alvin York who was a World War I hero. He never capitalized on his fame but finally agreed to a movie of his heroism in the 1940s in support of the war effort. In the movie he was portrayed by Gary Cooper. (Larger version)


Julie cools off in the river below Burnt Mill Bridge after a hot and humid hike in Honey Creek Pocket Wilderness near Rugby.
Julie cools off in the river below Burnt Mill Bridge after a hot and humid hike in Honey Creek Pocket Wilderness near Rugby. (Larger version)


One unexpected pleasure involved supper with my first wife, Lorraine, and her significant other. I needed a pickup truck while working on my daughter's house. Gerald and Lorraine brought his truck and helped move some items. Later they invited us to have supper with them at Green River Lake where they are spending the summer. We had a good time that included playing Corn Toss using boxes that Gerald made. After supper we swam in the lake and made ice cream. Probably the best part of the evening for me was watching my grandsons enjoy life. Out of the blue Dustin started calling me Pops.

On our last evening we drove to Louisville and met Melody of Trap Door. We sat in a restaurant and talked for what I assumed was an hour. As we walked back to our car I discovered it had been two and one half hours. Melody and her husband were extremely pleasant. I look forward to meeting them again.

On our last morning we explored the riverfront in Louisville. We had never ridden a tandem bicycle together so we rented one and rode a few miles along the river past kids playing, men fishing, an old lift bridge rusting and paddle wheel boats awaiting passengers.

It was a relaxing end to a good trip.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Good to see you back and appreciated the pictures.

Sgt. York is one of my favorite movies of all time.

7/09/2008 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

I am so glad you all got to enjoy the riverfront. They are working hard on making that a special place. So how was riding a tandem?

7/10/2008 06:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/03/2009 12:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home