Sunday, September 07, 2008

A Perfect Answer

"Do you trust white people?"

I liked and respected the young man before asking the question. After hearing his answer my like and respect grew. His answer paralleled a chess player being put in check who makes a swift move that escapes the danger and puts his opponent in check.

I was touring Taos Pueblo north of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The young Native American leading the tour was enrolled in college with a major in political science. He was home for the summer working at the pueblo.

During the tour he explained the importance of his community and his lack of individualism. His identity was centered and rooted in his clan. After graduating from college he planned on returning home and working for the benefit of Taos.

His comments, my reading of Native American history and my curiosity prompted me to ask the question "Do you trust white people?".

His reply was a question that was quick, casual and brilliant: "Do you trust congress?"

I complimented him on his response.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

That's a MUCH better answer than the one I got from the Cherokee woman who tried to defend embracing the religion of the people who marched them on the trail of tears.......

9/07/2008 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Considering the only treaty the government has kept is the last one.

As long as the grass grows and the wind blows ...

9/07/2008 04:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home