Friday, July 18, 2008

Renewal Time

An American Civil Liberties renewal notice came in the mail today. I've made two decisions. First, I will renew and second, I'll increase my contribution for the next year.

Before joining two years ago I read the history of the ACLU. In the last two years I've received weekly emails and periodical state and national newsletters. I impressed by what the ACLU has done and is attempting to do.

A few of the emails have asked for additional contributions. I'm not offended by that. All of the emails have sought to inform and motivate me. "Write your representative. . .". "Let your senator know what you . . ." One email included the phone number of the governor of Arizona and asked that I phone her to encourage her to sign the legislation exempting Arizona from the national ID program. I phoned, left a message and she signed the legislation. She didn't sign because I phoned but she signed because many of us expressed our opinions.

Often the ACLU literature gives me a perspective that I hadn't considered. On complex issues they provide data and material that enable me to peer into the experiences of people like me who are challenged by threats of which I've been ignorant.

I feel good about the American Civil Liberties Union. If you're not a member, I encourage you to consider joining.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Good for you and good for Arizona not playing the damned "Real ID" game.

7/18/2008 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

"Are you or have you ever been a card-carrying member of the ACLU?"

Well I'll be darned, you ARE!

Answer that one with pride, my friend!

7/20/2008 03:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home