Monday, September 15, 2008

Finally, We Meet!

As I drove by he was walking across the yard away from me. I had heard of him but never seen him. He was dressed in work boots, heavy socks and a tan. It was the naked guy! Everyone refers to him with an adjective and his first name, as in Naked Ralph or Naked Clarence.

I was on my way to visit friends who were his neighbors. As I talked with them the wife said "I've never seen him in a shirt."

The husband painted an interesting scene. "He stretches a hose across the yard until the sun warms the water then sits down in a lawn chair to take a shower. When he's finished he walks around the yard until he's dry."

(Hey, I'm in favor of solar heated water and minimizing laundry but I don't think I'll propose this idea to Julie.)

About a month later Julie and I were headed somewhere. As we drove down our dirt road toward the blacktop a Jeep pulling a trailer with a load of water came toward us. The driver door had been removed and the driver had his left foot stretched out in a relaxed way. He was shirtless, had a maintenance-free beard and hair that was given it's freedom to pick a style. One hand steered the vehicle and the other held a can of beer. We stopped opposite one another and exchanged greetings. It was the naked guy!

We talked for a while and I realized I had seen him before. He rides a Harley and I've seen him from a distance a few times.

I've heard people mention him but never heard anyone say anything bad or derogatory about him. His closest neighbors think well of him. His house and yard are among the neatest in the area.

I like this guy. It's difficult not to like a guy who chooses to disregard peer pressure and be himself.

I wish there were more people like the naked guy. No, no naked people but people who choose to be themselves, wear whatever fits their mood at the moment and enjoy life. People like that will let me be myself. I can't imagine this guy criticizing my choice of attire. He doesn't care that my car is covered with dust and needs washing. He'll never think I need to trim my beard.

Before we parted he said "Come up and visit me sometime. I'll knock a few cobwebs down and we'll have a beer."

Life has enough stress but not enough stress-free friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

There is a lot to be said for marching to the beat of your own drummer.

9/15/2008 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger jules said...

I bet he'd be interesting to visit with. Sounds like a character.

9/16/2008 01:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/03/2009 12:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home