Thursday, November 29, 2007

Next Project

"Seventy-five dollars."

"Sold!"

A few weeks ago I was at a business in town that sells a few new items but most items are used, recycled or salvaged. By chance in the back yard, in an area piled high with lumber, electrical boxes and pipe, I happened to look up about 15 feet to the top of a steel rack and I saw an item that caught my attention. I climbed some steps to a location where I could look down on it and confirmed my suspicion -- a hot tub!

I've had intentions of installing a tub some day so I asked about the price and took it immediately. I am now the happy owner of a $75 hot tub. I got the tub and a few hoses. It came without pump, heater, insulation or frame which I couldn't use anyway. The tub has no scratches or damage and the finish is bright and looks like new. Perfect!

Next summer I plan on building steps down from our current deck to a new lower deck and recess the the tub into the ground. I'll install a solar heater, pump, ozone generator and filtration system.

Based on my reading, research and recent experience with the solar closet, I think I can heat it year round.

Julie and I have some good memories of dark nights in open air hot tubs. A few years ago we were in a mountainous area near the Anza-Borrego Desert in southern California. It was December and the temperature was well below freezing, snow was falling and reflecting low intensity lights. Steam was rising from the hot water and we were laughing and teasing one another about who should be the first to climb out and run for the towels and the door that led to pool in an adjacent building.

Another year we were in a tub south of Tucson. We had left a Valentine's dance early to get the tub to ourselves. It was cold and raining gently. A widower in his early 80's joined us and we talked for quite a while. At first I was disappointed we weren't alone but he turned out to be pleasant, friendly and unforgettable.

Good memories!

Next winter on cold clear moonless nights we'll slip neck-deep in our tub and gaze at the milky way. On full moon nights we'll enjoy the moonlight reflecting off the hills, trees and grasses.

If you ever visit, bring a bathing suit and towel.

.
Hot Tub. (Larger version)

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not a hot tub, but I have fond memories of being in hot springs in the Rockies at night.

11/30/2007 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

You have enough projects lined up to take you into the next century.

11/30/2007 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

We'll be right over!

11/30/2007 04:49:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Your suppose to put water in it not hoses ........aren't ya?

12/01/2007 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

The house we bought this year came with a hot tub. It wasn't something we ever considered buying and certainly wasn't the deal breaker on this house, but we are enjoying it. Despite the snakes.

12/03/2007 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I was really enjoying your post and getting into the spirit of the Wild West until you went and spoiled it with that business about bathing suits!

12/04/2007 09:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home