Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lucky

“I think Julie is pretty…..” Sorry, got lost mid-sentence. That’s a true statement but not complete. “I think Julie is pretty darned lucky to have me!”

Oh, it’s not that I’m good looking. Sometimes I stand behind her as she’s fixing her hair and it scares me. I look at our reflection in the mirror and wonder “What does she see in me? I know what I see in her but what does she see in me? I certainly wouldn’t want to snuggle up with myself.” I guess women are weird and not too picky.

It’s not that I’m wealthy. I assume that is a true statement. She keeps the books, pays the bills and manages our savings. I don’t know our net worth. I never worry about these things and depend on her.

It’s not that I'm much help around the house. She plans the menus and does most of the cooking -- and cleaning -- and reminding me when it’s time to do routine maintenance and chores such as taking out the compost and the trash. Recently, she asked if she could post a comment on my blog to remind me to fix the paper towel holder. It had been broken less than a week. What was the rush?

I’m not the life of the party. Last Saturday night at the barbecue, I met a man and was talking with him. Julie came over and introduced herself. He forgot I was there. He ignored me as he talked with Julie.

I could list several more negatives about myself, but let me tell you why Julie is lucky to have me. “I sit.“ Yes, that’s right. When I use restroom, I sit.

It started when I was single and lazy, before I became married and lazy. I learned very quickly that I didn’t like cleaning the bathroom and did everything I could to keep it clean. Sitting seemed like a smart thing to do.

Julie never asks me to clean the bathroom and, out of consideration for her, I continue my practice of sitting.

Yep, Julie is lucky to have me – but not nearly as lucky as I am to have her!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Julie, and my Husband sits also. Bless you! Sure makes cleaning up the potty easier!

11/01/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Paul, we have more in common than I thought. I sit - and for the same reasons.

11/01/2006 09:11:00 AM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Bet you don't have dual flush

11/01/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I never heard of guys sitting until I watched Jack Nicholson in "About Schmidt." I must say, it wasn't meant to make him look thoughtful and tidy, but defeated and emasculated. So far, I still stand, but I do clean my own bathroom.

11/01/2006 06:31:00 PM  
Blogger Round Belly said...

that helps puts thing into perspective- you and my husband may have several things in common.

11/01/2006 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Sitting makes a HUGE difference in the cleaning department. I found it makes me healthier too; by making me take a minute to relax.

My brothers have loud verbal arguments about standing or sitting just because it is such a fun topic.

11/01/2006 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Paul did you get my email?

11/01/2006 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I'll be damned! I always wondered what brought this diverse group of men together and now I know....we all SIT! This deserves a study and an article in the Lancet!

11/02/2006 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home