Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Tale of a Tail

A sliver of lumber from my scrap pile protruded from under the building and caught my attention.

“It shouldn’t be there.”

The building is about four feet by six feet and houses shovels, a rake, a pick and some other tools. It is elevated off the ground for air circulation. I looked under the building and found a pack rat midden that had been constructed during the last few days.

As I raked the pile of rodent construction materials from under the building I saw it – a hairy rat tail. There was no pack rat attached to it – just a tail. A few weeks ago I was working with another small building resting on cinder blocks that sets back-to-back to this building. As I pivoted one corner of the building and moved to pivot another corner, I saw the same tail with a red and raw stump. Apparently I had pinched the rat’s tail between a block and the building and cut it off. I searched for the rat to see if he was injured more seriously and suffering but couldn't find him. I kicked the tail aside assuming nature would recycle it quickly. I wonder if the midden was built by the same rat? Did he save the tail for sentimental reasons?

I had forgotten this little tale about the tail. (Of course, I’m sure the rat hasn’t forgotten.) I have some other animal memories from this summer that I think I’ll write down and post so I don't forget them.

Wishing all a good weekend!

I tried to post the above on Saturday morning but blogger was having problems.

Julie and I had an enjoyable weekend swimming, joining a group of friends for a barbecue on Saturday evening and watching a Chinese film titled "To Live". Today we took a route home through Sedona where we stopped for lunch, ice cream, and cups of coffee and tea for the meandering drive through Oak Creek Canyon. The sky was a deep blue without clouds and the trees were brilliant yellow. It was a good weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The canyon is beautiful, and I'm glad that I experienced it, but I'm also happy to not navigate those hairpin turns anymore, especially with antsy local drivers behind me.

10/29/2006 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Maybe the rat saved it to remind himself never to lose his head over a piece of tail?

Glad you all had a good weekend.

10/29/2006 06:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home