Thursday, October 19, 2006

Birthdays

“Twenty-six years ago today I was begging for drugs.” I smiled at Julie's comment because I understood. Today is her daughter’s birthday.

We’re in Borger, Texas – near Amarillo – to celebrate birthdays. Julie’s father turns 80 on Saturday and her sister turns 55. Her daughter lives near Dallas and will arrive tomorrow. Other family members arrive tonight and tomorrow.

Recently, a nine year old girl near Amarillo begged to stay home with her mother because it was her birthday. Later in the day her mother went into labor and an ambulance was not available and the family lived remote. The young girl followed the instructions of the 911 operator and delivered her brother. The news report said she was calm during the delivery but was not happy about sharing her birthday with her new brother. I guess clustering birthdays on a single day is a Texas thing.

Before the end of the year I'll have a birthday which will mark the beginning of my seventh decade. That sounds old but it's just a little mind game. Life, like wine and many other things, improves with age.

2 Comments:

Blogger Whitesnake said...

Would never have thought of yo as old.
Fine wine mate is meant to be enjoyed.
Let me say, your a fine drop.

10/19/2006 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I hereby elect you as our "elder statesmen", since you are so old and wise to boot!

10/19/2006 05:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home