Saturday, October 22, 2005

Paralysis

As a pre-school child I was taught fear. “Look out for snakes! Stay out of the grass! Don’t go near that log, or rock or . . .!” One morning I heard shouting. A cousin just a few months older than me had been bitten by a Copperhead. I had nightmares occasionally. I would be halfway between the house and the outhouse and hundreds of snakes would block my path to safety in either direction.

I know life with fear and it wasn't pleasant. I grew to the point I refused to live with fear! As a young teenager I forced myself to touch a snake. During the last year I have seen five rattlesnakes near my house – three in the yard -- one under my back porch – and I’ve welcomed them and felt compassion for them in their fear of me..

What or who do I fear?

I don’t’ fear terrorists or the future or the unknown. I don’t fear nature or storms or getting older or dying.

I fear those who would attempt to control my thinking and pondering and wondering. I fear those who would take away the freedom of my spirit. I fear the religious right and my federal and state governments.

I am fascinated by the Bible’s take on fear. In one passage the “fearful” (or cowards or cowardly or afraid) are grouped with murders and sexual perverts! The translation that I prefer in this passage uses “those of give in to fear”.

I will not give in to fear and be paralyzed by it! I will experience fear but rather than letting fear control me I will control fear. As long as my mind is free, I will be free.

My life is good and rich and wonderful and I will keep it that way.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

I have heard it said that everything boils down to two things - love and fear.

Some years ago I had a friend who seemed to take comfort from worry -he would look for things to worry about and had a very unadventurous lifestyle. His mistake taught me to fight my own fears. Life is not for the faint of heart!

Incidentally thanks a lot for your kind words. Appreciated!

10/22/2005 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this quote about fear by James Thurber. "Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."

10/22/2005 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

I've been looking for something to post about on my blog. I think you've just inspired me. I know fear is something that plays a big role in my life.

10/22/2005 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Blow'n, Hello.

You pose 3 questions. Unfortunately, I don't have the time needed at the moment to respond fully. Quickly, concerning the last question, I plan on keeping my life good by exercising the control that I do have. Life is never certain and I can't control everything but it has been my experience that many people create their own misery. I hope to make wise decisions by learning from others. I'd be glad to answer more fully if you are interested.

10/23/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Blow'n In The Wind,

I'll post a reply tonight. Unfortunately, my work ethic prevents a full reply now.

By the way, I didn't think your reply sounded harsh.

Also, I welcome the opportunity to exchange ideas and opinions and am looking forward to a lively discussion.

10/24/2005 08:41:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Blow'n In The Wind,

I responded to question 3 as a new post entitled "My Choices". Are you interested in responses to your first two questions? I could post responses to them tomorrow.

10/24/2005 08:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home