Friday, October 21, 2005

Realization

I wonder if writing can be a form of meditation.

For some time now I have had a growing feeling that has tugged at my mind to be put into conscious thought. This embryonic feeling became a solid realization last night while browsing art galleries.

I find writing, even bad writing, to be hard labor. I've never enjoyed it. However, during the last few weeks I've looked forward to a period each evening when I write. In some way that I cannot explain rationally, it gives me a sense of hope, peace and optimism. It makes my life richer and more enjoyable.

Who is my audience? For whom am I writing? Myself! If others read and benefit from my posts then my life is enriched futher.

I am indebted to Rob for the following quotes.


"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." -- Emerson

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." -- Bacon


I think these summarize my experience. I find peace and happiness and contentment within myself and I become more aware of them when I bring them into focus and make them exact by putting them into written form.

I find life to be exponentially richer if I live it with passion and zest and risk. Writing is risky as I reveal myself but it gives expression to the passion and that is the reward.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Lord Acton said that one should learn as much from writing as from reading.
The philosopher Bryan Magee says,"I can sit and think for a while, but not for months on end -unless I write."

Incidentally, like you, I am enjoying writing my blog.I agree entirely with your comments about risk taking and zest.

10/22/2005 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Rob, once again I am indebted to you for these quotes and the spirit you radiate. Thank you.

10/22/2005 08:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home