Monday, October 17, 2005

Managing Stress: One of My Techniques

Managing stress is a skill that all of us need and we can learn some techniques from others.

I learned one of my techniques from my father. One evening he was reading the newspaper about a student who committed suicide by jumping from the seventh floor of a university domitory. Without looking up from the paper he mentioned what he had read and then added "I don't know why people let things get to them like that. If someone was giving him trouble he should have called them a son of a bitch and forgotten about it."

Those statements stuck in my memory and became a part of my life. I try to meet people half-way, treat them with respect and honesty. But, when all else fails, I say silently to myself "to hell with them" and go my way, do something enjoyable, and forget about it. Language is facinating. "It's raining cats and dog" shouldn't be taken literally and "to hell with you" shouldn't be taken literally but it does communicate.

To put it in more politically correct terms: sometimes we can't solve all problems when dealing with people and when we can't we need to protect ourselves without harming the other person. I've found a little technique that helps me do this.

So, if you agree with me, fine. If you don't agree with me, fine. But, if you want to get mean and agressive about it then listen closely because you may hear me whisper to myself "to hell with you. I think I'll find some ice cream and a quiet place".

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

If I ever get back to Arizona I surely want to have a cup of coffee with you, Paul.

Very impressive!

10/18/2005 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Buffalo, I know some great coffee shops in Flagstaff and Sedona! Also, a motorcycle ride through northern Arizona and southern Utah can't be beat!

10/18/2005 08:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home