Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Sweet Fellowship of Aloneness

Like the first star on a clear night, a word or phrase sometimes draws attention and captures the imagination.

". . . the sweet fellowship of aloneness . . ."

Life needs balance.

Work and recreation.

Thoughtfulneess and thoughtlessness.

Feasting and fasting.

I am social and need interaction but this need is so easily filled.

Co-workers, television, population, cell phones, traffic, email, radio, urban sprawl -- the list seems endless.

It's "the sweet fellowship of aloneness" that is so needed and more difficult to find.

Aloneness gives me time to balance, to renew, to enjoy and to wonder.

Aloneness reminds me that I am but a few atoms in a universe of countless atoms and helps me reconnect with Life.

It is periodic aloneness that makes me realize that life is good!

(This phrase is from Kahlil Gibran's 'The King-Hermit" in "The Forerunner".)

1 Comments:

Blogger George Breed said...

Yes. All the holy ones, our spiritual ancestors, had to go out into the wilderness away from the shrivelized in order to open up into right spirit once again. We need it!

9/21/2005 06:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home