Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Reading List Update

I've added four books to my reading list on the right sidebar.

Several months ago I read Brian Capon's Botany for Gardeners: Third Edition. When I read the book I failed to add it to my reading list. This is the first book in years that I've highlighted. Normally I buy used books and resell them after reading but not this book. It's a keeper. In high school I learned a little about photosynthesis. About all I remembered was something vague like "plants use sunlight in cells with chlorophyll to make food from water and carbon dioxide and give off oxygen in the process". This book explains photosynthesis in much detail which evoked fascination and wonder. The material in the book was excellent and the examples marvelous.

The first biography I've read in years: Naturalist by Edward O. Wilson. The material was interesting and sparked memories and visions in my mind. Most of all I appreciated Wilson's personality and demeanor. When I finished the book I gave it to a co-worker. Some months back she gave me a couple books that led me to think should would enjoy Naturalist.

For expediency I've added The Flying Tigers, author Russell Whelan, to the completed list but I have a few pages to finish. The tone is that of an old black and white newsreel that was projected on movie screens in my early childhood. I don't consider it a good book. It was written in 1942 and is almost pure war propaganda. However, it's interesting reading it as a historical piece. The part I find most offensive is the use of the term "boys" and "kids" when referring to the pilots. Just a personal peeve that I'll not explain.

My next book is an archaeological tome: Realm of the Incas by Victor W. Von Hagen. I expect this book to be a little dry but filled with interesting knowledge. As a kid I was always intrigued by history and ancient civilizations. As a child I read some fanciful book in which a young American boy became lost in Peru and was found by a remote group of Incas who had remained hidden for hundreds of years. It was fiction but it bolstered my interest in the Incas, Mayas, Aztecs and other civilizations.

I have had John Steinbeck's The Log from the Sea of Cortez on the "to read" list for several months but I've misplaced the book. It will turn up some day and I'll read it.

Together Julie and I are reading two other books. I'll add them to the list when we finish them.

I've read all my life but lately I find reading more and more interesting and attractive.



After updating the reading list last night I was left with the feeling of omitting a book. This morning I remembered Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara, Fred Saito and Roger Pineau. Hara was the captain whose experiences are recounted in the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home