Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Spring Break

Next week is spring break. Normally I procrastinate if possible. I get topo maps early, read trip reports, search out photos and think about an upcoming backpacking trip. But, when it comes to getting out the equipment and packing I generally wait to the last minute. That's not usually a problem since everything is cleaned and stored after a trip in preparation for the next adventure. But last year I procrastinated too long. In the end I finished packing about 11 PM and had to get up at 2:30 AM to start the trip.

This time, however, it's been different. The front bedroom is full of equipment. Last year I took a twenty degrees synthetic sleeping bag and the night time temperatures pushed it to it's limit. This time I'm taking a ten degrees down bag. I checked my water filter, lubricated the o-rings and put a coffee filter over the intake. Batteries for headlamp and camera have been charged and the permit has been stacked with maps. The last thing to do is pick up a few additional items for mid-day meals. Everything else has been checked, cleaned, completed and laid out next to my backpack.

Last week I phoned the Back Country Information Center to check on the condition of the road to the trail head and the depth of the snow near the trail head. The road off the blacktop is twenty-seven miles long and should be fine the entire length. The ranger advised snow shoes for the three miles from the end of the road to the trail head. We'll be climbing the north side of a mountain to get to the canyon rim and the snow may be deep. I read a report from May of last year that indicated there was one to two feet of snow in the area at that time. But, we had anticipated this and already had snow shoes laid out with other equipment.

This is my third trip with Todd. I've arranged to meet him at 4 AM Monday morning for the three and one-half hours trip to the north side of the canyon. My son phoned two weeks ago and canceled. We tentatively discussed another trip in the fall. I'll miss him.

Last year for spring break Julie flew to Dallas to spend the week with her son, daughter and spouses. This Saturday she leaves for Amarillo to visit parents, sister and extended family. I'll miss her.

This time next week I should be camped on the Colorado River at the Nankoweap delta.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Definitely not for the faint hearted - which includes me.

3/09/2011 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Once again, I envy (too strong a word) your physical prowess and I also envy the adventure that you'll have. All the best. I know you'll bring back photos.

3/09/2011 06:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home