Thursday, February 10, 2011

What If?

"Would you ask me to the prom?"

I received this strange question yesterday in a message from Julie. The message came before a photo of her as a graduating senior in high school. The photo gave the question context and took away it's strangeness.

Even though I answered her with a "Yes" before I saw the photo the truthful answer was "No".

Julie.
Julie as a senior in high school.


By the time she graduated from high school I had completed two and one-half years of college, spent four years in the army, gotten married, had two children and was working at a Ford stamping plant. I would never have given her a second look.

There was another factor that would have caused me to never notice her. She had long red hair, bright red hair. I had a sister with bright red hair and never, ever considered a redhead as a potential date.

Sometimes I wonder how our lives would be different had we been closer in age, met in high school or college and married. There are many indications both our lives would have been happier, easier, better. But when I think seriously about it I doubt it. I would probably have been too dumb to make the best of a perfect situation. Regardless, I got older and slightly wiser, moved to Texas where we met and life is good.

Valentine's Day is next Monday. We're planning a celebration for the weekend.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Neither of you were the same person; ingredients were still being added to make that perfect match.

2/10/2011 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

How fortunate for the two of you!

Tim

p.s. On the other hand I wonder if she would have accepted the invitation if you had introduced yourself as Paulyanna

2/10/2011 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Alex Pendragon said...

Those observations haunt me even now.

My animals would take umbrage at the word verification....."nocat".........

2/10/2011 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I once toured a Ford stamping plant in Detroit with a class. I was ever so thankful to be a teacher after I witnessed that.

2/11/2011 06:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home