Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend Training

Julie and I have had many fun and interesting experiences over the years and this weekend was another one.

I looked forward to the CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training but didn't want to loose the entire weekend. The Friday night session (6-9 PM) was enjoyable and made me anticipate Saturday's sessions (8-5 PM). Long before we finished Sunday evening we both agreed it was a good experience. In the end I didn't feel like it was a lost weekend.

CERT Training Group.
CERT Training Group. Julie and I are second and third from the left.


We met new people from the area (one a master gardener who lives a mile from us!), got better acquainted with neighbors we've know for a few years, learned new skills and laughed a lot. Now that we've completed the basic training we scheduled to attend a regular monthly meeting in town tomorrow night.

One of the interesting things for me was discovering that much of what I was taught years ago about emergency first aid is no longer considered valid. One of the instructors, a retired police officer, told stories from his experiences that related the same message concerning emergency procedures other than first aid. Time passes and new research reveals the fallacy of current practices. This emphasized the need to keep learning.

Initially I expected only training but we were given backpacks, helmet, eye protection, gloves, tools and manuals. A second basic class will be held in April for a group unable to attend this weekend. Both groups will meet in May to organize and plan periodic meetings and on-going training.

Julie and I worked together as buddies on each exercise. We put out fires, put splints on one another (my arm, her leg), did search and rescue and used a lever and cribbing to remove a wall off a training dummy.

A good weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You guys are amazing; you never stop. Keeps you young. Makes me feel old.

2/21/2011 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

My training must be horrendously archaic. I never thought about it before.

2/21/2011 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home