Sunday, March 13, 2011

By Its Cover

I stopped by a used book store today to get a book. I went to the WWII section and looked for something small and light with yellowing pages. New books tend to be larger, heavier, printed on weightier paper with weightier ink. I've heard it's not wise to judge a book by its cover but I want something small and light to carry in my backpack. I found only three choices. The elimination of two was easy. I selected Kriegie: Prisoner of War by Kenneth W.Simmons. It is copyrighted 1960 and cost 35 cents at that time. I paid $2.50 for it.

I've almost halfway through The $64 Tomato by William Alexander. It's been thoroughly enjoyable but it's too large and too heavy to carry. My backpack is ready. I weighed it and was surprised: 48 pounds. I like to draw the limit at 40 pounds but we won't get to water until the second day so I'm carrying extra.

Preparation for this trip hasn't monopolized my time lately. In fact, I got ready quite a while back. The thing that has interfered with blogging is preparation for a gardening class that I'm teaching on April 2. It's a four hour class and I want to do a good job. I've been reading sections of the Arizona and California master gardener manuals, library books, gardening books that I own and doing web research. All of this work is being distilled into electronic presentations along with show and tell items. I've found this preparation extremely enjoyable.

It's 8:07 PM. My alarm will sound in six hours and twenty-three minutes assuming I've set it correctly. We rarely use an alarm and Julie always sets the clock. I've never done it and yearn for the old, easy mechanical clocks rather than the high tech electronic imitation. Julie is in Texas. I phoned and asked instructions.

I'll be back in a week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So ... you're already gone as I read this. Hope it goes well. Happy reading as well.

3/14/2011 05:00:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Have fun. Be safe. If the two aren't analogous opt for safe.

3/14/2011 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Regenia said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You just gave me ammunition! Years ago Allan had to take Trista back to college. That one time I could not go. I had to call to find out how to set the alarm on this electronic monstrasity we had. I am STILL hearing about it. (Trista is 37 now.) And you know how that daughter of mine can do imitations! They will definitely hear that I am not the only one who thought it was so ridiculous and who could not do it! Think I'll go take care of that right now.

3/15/2011 08:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home