Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Collecting

I'm not a collector. I tried but it wasn't and isn't me. As a kid baseball cards were big. Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and others were popular. I had a few but really didn't care about them.

I'm not a collector with the exception of two things: memories and photos.

I have a box containing items from my children's childhood. My son had a favorite pair of shorts that he wore when he was about four years old. He wore out the seat of the pants and they became too tight. I took them out of the trash and put them in a box where they remain 35 years later. I have some checks from my daughter's first checking account and other items that bring back memories of her.

Fourth of July 1955.
I think this photo was taken on the fourth of July in 1955. I'm standing behind my sister Jean who is on the tricycle. The others are cousins who lived next door.


When my son visited in March he gave me an 500 GB external hard drive. I began dumping photos from CDs and discovered I have 52,000 photos. I knew there are some duplicates so I wrote a script to find the duplicates. Ultimately I want to organize them in some system. It is an enjoyable task. I'm finding photos that I had forgotten or didn't know I had.

Checking the motorcycle in Yellowstone.
I'm dusting my hands after checking the motorcycle during a visit to Yellowstone National Park. One of my brothers-in-law took this photo and sent it to me.


When my son bought the external drive and case I wished he hadn't. The company for which he worked went out of business and he was unemployed. Now, he has another job and I have another memory of his generosity.

I like collecting memories and photos.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I shudder to think of all the photos I have lost over the years. But I still have quite a few and I treasure them.

5/12/2010 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

Love the bike! And is that a Pontiac in the 1955 photo? I miss those gorgeous hood ornaments, and how deep the shine was on those cars, like you could put your finger in and it would sink to the knuckle.

5/20/2010 12:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home