Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garden Plans

It hasn't been an outstanding summer for the garden but it's been a good season. We've given away some vegetables which makes it a good year. I've enjoyed the experience.

I have 457 square feet of raised garden beds though not all beds have been planted to date. I have materials for twelve more round beds that I may build by next spring. This will add 235 square feet. Before installing the new beds I want build a garden shed and greenhouse. Last spring when I laid out the fence and beds I left room on the northeast corner for the building.

Evolving Garden Layout.
Evolving garden layout. The shed/greenhouse and cold frames will be built as soon as possible. (Larger version)


The driveway to the house passes the corner of the garden which makes it convenient but does impose one limitation. If I expand the garden to the east then I am left with a triangular area smaller than I would prefer. However, to the northwest I have several hundred square feet of open ground with a decent slope that I can use.

Last weekend I picked up two loads of composted horse manure and will pick up two or three additional loads tomorrow and Saturday. I have more than enough for the garden and am planning on using it for landscaping next Spring.

My experience this summer has inspired me to try a few things to extend the growing season and to attempt a few vegetables in containers in the sun room this fall and winter. Last winter we raised peppers and tomatoes. This year I'm going to try a few other items.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

OK, you are putting MY efforts to shame....I hope you're happy...hmmphhhh!

9/18/2009 05:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomatoes in winter - I'm red with envy!

10/02/2009 08:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home