Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Anticipation

Life definitely improves with age. At least, that’s been my experience in recent years. Each year is better than the previous year and presents the hope of good things. Here are some of the things I’m anticipating this year. Well, they aren’t thing but experiences.

Next month I begin the Master Gardener Program – 13 weeks of training and 50 hours of community service bringing new acquaintances, new knowledge, new skills and new opportunities.

By April I plan to begin construction of an attached greenhouse to provide a dining/lounge area, a solar-heated hot tub, a heat source for the house and an area to start and raise flowers and vegetables. Our house is about 750 square feet and this will add about 500 additional feet.

As I’ve mention before, I’m now on an 11 month contract. For play time I get 20 days vacation, the normal holidays and the month of June. Julie works the academic calendar and is off in the summer so I intend to take June and two weeks vacation in July so we will have six weeks of adventure. We’ve decided to hike the northern 100 miles of the Arizona Trail – the Utah border to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. After this trip, we’ll have over a month for other adventures that we’re considering.

In addition to the above, there’s Valentines Day, our anniversary and the annual rendezvous with siblings in a national park.

Julie and I make a fraction of what we did when first married and lived in Texas. Part of the fun and adventure is playing on a budget. That’s another truth I’ve learned. I enjoy most the things and experiences that I work towards and earn. Life without some struggle wouldn't be satisfying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

You seem to have unlocked the door to an abundant life and had the courage to step across the threshold.

1/09/2007 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I know all about living on a budget......once you get used to it, you don't feel any better, but you don't sweat it either. Snowflakes are free.

1/10/2007 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Yay for you! It sounds like a lot of fun.

1/12/2007 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home