Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Discussion - Part II

(This post is part 2 and will be confusing unless you first read part 1 below.)

Honesty, responsibility for self and life with nature. These are some of my strong needs that are irrationally sensitive to threats.

I can’t explain why I have these needs any more than I can explain why I’m heterosexual. I was born this way and I’m incapable of change in these areas.

First, honesty is probably my most sensitive need.
When discussing an issue, if I’m presented with deception then a reaction takes over that limits my ability to discuss the original issue. I get angry and loose respect for the person who lied. It’s a loss that can’t be corrected with a simple apology.

About 34 years ago, I worked at a place where a salesman came in periodically. We got along well. I enjoyed talking with him. One day he said “I like you, but if I can do anything to make a dollar off of you I’ll do it. I would sell my mother to make a dollar.” I didn’t – and still don’t -- agree with his values but I respected his honesty. I would rather have him as a neighbor than some politically correct and dishonest politician.

If we get into a discussion, present verifiable facts or tell me it’s just your opinion. Don’t toy with the truth.

Second, I like being responsible for myself. I resent intrusions into my freedom of caring for myself.

For example, I don’t think the law should force me to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. I’m not talking about passengers or children. I’m talking about myself. I think I should be able to go to Canada and buy prescription drugs. I’ll research the risks involved and hold myself and only myself responsible.

Laws should protect the helpless, the innocent and the uninformed. They should not intrude into my personal freedom to be responsible for myself.

Patrick Henry wrote “Give me liberty or give me death!”. I understand his need.

Third, I need nature, solitude, living plants and animals, wild spaces, challenges and risks. Many of my earliest memories are of nature. It’s who I am and I value it greatly.

Proposals to build roads, pave, log, mine, dam and “develop” areas meet instant resistance. I don’t respond to arguments that people are more important and that nature should be used to create jobs and for the benefit of man.

Some things are optional in life. I can be in an accident, lose an arm or a leg and life will continue to be good. I can lose much of my income and have enough for necessities and life will continue to be good. I can lose many things but nature is not one of them. My happiness, health and contentment depend on living in an environment that’s protected from human abuse.

These are three of my needs. What are yours? If we enter into a discussion about many of the challenges confronting us, I need to know your needs so we can find solutions that protect both of our needs.

Needs do not fully explain behaviors. Values cause me to ignore my needs. In the next post -- part 3, I’ll think about what’s important to me and how that affects my choices and decisions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Irrationally sensitive? I'm not sure it is possible to be irritationally sensitive to such threats.

First on my list is freedom. Freedom doesn't mean license and it does mean accepting responsibility.

Honesty, especially within a relationship is of paramount importance. Loyalty holds the hand of honesty.

Respect...of self...of others...of our environment.

12/13/2006 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

YES!

12/13/2006 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

The only "freedom" I question is the freedom to not wear a helmet. Sure, if you by virtue of not wearing that helmet thereby give up any special treatment at taxpayer expense for the head trauma you are sure to sustain during any real accident, then SURE, I'm all for you being as reckless as you want. I think it's a great way to reduce the overpopulation. However, if you end up in a nursing home on medicaid due to your exercise of freedom, then you are taking liberties with MY tax dollars. So, you see, if you want the right, you also own the responsibility. It's only fair.

12/13/2006 04:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home