Sunday, December 17, 2006

Old Memory - New Toy

I placed my books on the counter. As she took them she asked “Are you still enjoying photography?” The question surprised and amazed me. The town had a small library that was staffed by elderly women in their seventies and eighties. Ten years earlier I had read several books on photography. She remembered! I envy that mnemonic ability. (I couldn't remember how to spell mnemonic and had to resort to a dictionary.)

In over 15 years I never had a personal library card. It was the old days – the good ol’ days before computers. I would browse the stacks or the card file and find a book. When I made a choice, I would scrawl my name on the card in the back of the book and leave it at the checkout desk. Whenever I failed to return a book on time, I would receive a pleasant phone call at work reminding me of the overdue book. The first time it happened, I wondered how they read my scribbled name and how they knew where I worked. I lived in another town in another county about ten miles away.


Camera Manual
Camera Manual.


I’m reading photography again but now it’s digital photography. I bought a new camera last week. I’ve read most of the manual and tried some of the features. I’ve taken 277 photos and am pleased with the camera but not my ability. This camera cost half of what I paid five years ago for my previous camera and does much, much more.

Truthfully, I never read the entire manual on my old camera. It probably does more than I imagine. After finishing the new manual, I'm going to read the old manual and keep the old camera in the car.

I wonder if I can remember the details from two manuals or will I confuse them. Doesn't really matter. For me, the fun in life is not in succeeding but in trying.

5 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Reading the instructions are for those who lack a sense of adventure. Thus sayth Buffalo

12/17/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I have a once very expensive Canon A-1, which was the premier automatic SLR of it's time, and by today's standards it is almost totally obsolete. I'm haning on to it, tho, in case I want to venture back into the ancient art of exposing film, getting it processed, and then printed, none of which I am capable of doing myself anymore since I don't have a darkroom these days.

It's almost a pity how this Canon SureShot S300 makes photography so damn easy, and the results immediate. I still miss my Through-the-lens perspective and the ability to change lenses, which is important if you want to take REALLY good pictures.

12/17/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And then there's Photoshop.

12/17/2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

If you fall in love with your new camera, I hope you'll tell us what it is.

12/18/2006 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

I've been so hesitant to make the transition from film to digital. I still only use my digital camera for quick snapshots and continue to shoot my "real" photos on positive film. I'm sure I'll have to give in soon, but it'll likely not be without a fight.

12/19/2006 08:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home