Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Young to Play

PBS can be a bad thing. My son, at the tender age of eight, saw something on PBS and tried to use it to avoid work. I told him to do something and he replied “Children don’t play because they are young. They are young to play.” It was a good try but, he had to do whatever it was that I asked before returning to play.

I have thought of that phrase over the years and the phrase “once an adult and twice a child.” I like to combine these phrases. I’m getting older, entering my second childhood and therefore I get to play more and more.

Julie and I are going to play in the water. We are registering for a class in scuba diving. It’s physical, requires learning new knowledge, is an activity we can do together and gives us the opportunity for new adventures. It will help us stay young newly-weds and extend the honeymoon.

It always amuses and amazes me. When I was young, I thought being old was horrible. Was I ever wrong! How that I’m approaching senior citizen status, I find this stage of my life is the best.

I’d like to write more but, I don’t have time. “I’m young to play.”

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Sadly, many of us never learn to play. I'm trying to learn. It isn't easy.

11/08/2006 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Roger and I have been retired since 2004, and it's the best time of our lives. We work outside a lot, but we take good long walks, enjoy learning about the natural world in our newly-adopted home, and have found creative parts of ourselves we never knew. Finding pleasure in the things we do is like playing.

11/08/2006 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Despite the stiffening and the aches and pains (which you seem to be fortunate enough to avoid), it is rather grand to be where we are. There's a kind of peace and settledness about it all. We learn what we want to learn and enjoy doing it.

11/08/2006 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Playing is a doddle.......
It is knowing when to stop that's the problem

11/08/2006 05:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home