Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Real Men

I thought of him as a man’s man. He was good at sports, could argue politics and no engine or construction task was safe when he put his mind and hands to the job. He was an example and model cast in marble on a high pillar. He made me proud.

In his fifties a strange thing happened. He bought a book and began growing roses.

In my youthful stupidity I was puzzled. Men don’t do that! Was it early onset dementia? Roses are grown by short rotund grandmothers wearing aprons with their grey hair pulled back in a bun. He was my father but I was a little embarrassed. (Yes, young rednecks are capable of embarrassment.) I dealt with the embarrassment like a real man would. I pretended it never happened and we never talked about it.

I’m much older now and little wiser. I know that real men can read whatever and do whatever they choose. I'm a little sad also. I wish we had talked about it and I could have learned from him.

My first issue of a new subscription to Birds & Blooms should arrive soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Whitesnake said...

Just think, if ya had of talked, ya might not be expecting that mag.

I reckon sometimes we have to find things out for ourselves.

You might not be thinking of him now........Hey! there are a lot of ifs in the world.

10/11/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

My brother, a career Marine - fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam -grew lovely roses. I found it provided a certain....balance?

10/11/2006 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Try "Country" mag while you're at it. Fantastic pictures!

10/11/2006 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My gardening phase has passed -- for now -- but I have red that magazine. Enjoy.

10/11/2006 07:53:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

Is it wisdom, or is it (decreasing) testosterone? In the last few years, I've noticed distinct changes - emotional as well as physical. It's hard to sort out how much is caused by experience and how much by chemistry.

10/12/2006 09:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home