Saturday, October 07, 2006

I Feel Good

I liked the idea and did it on the spot.

A few days ago, after asking for ideas to stop the loss of American freedoms and reverse the aggressive actions of the US government, I began researching and compiling a list of websites that detail candidate voting records. I read more about the dangers of electronic voting and decided to vote by mail so I have a written copy of my choices. I volunteered to work at a poll and did more reading and brainstorming about possible actions I might take. However, none of these things gave me a sense of accomplishment or hope.

The next day Julie received a piece of mail and gave it to me to read. As I read, I realized it is hopeless. I’m not skilled or qualified to do battle with the government. I need help.

We don’t live in a democracy. We don’t elect the president or make the laws. We live in a representative democracy and this is an important distinction. We elect representatives. The representatives live in a democracy because they are the ones who make the laws. Those elected are guided not by a sense of justice, fairness, honesty and compassion but by peer pressure, self-interest and a level of greed. The government is controlled by professional politicians. These are the facts of life.

I’m out of my league because I’m an amateur. Why not employ the services of professionals who have the knowledge, skills, experience and clout to do what I can’t do?

The mail was from the American Civil Liberties Union. Julie and I engaged in some lively discussion because we don’t see everything eye to eye and I value immensely her opinions. She chose to decline at this time but respected and supported my decision to employ the services of the ACLU. When my membership card arrives I plan on being a card-carrying member!

Hopefully, the ACLU with my financial support and the support of thousands of others can stop some of the insanity.

I feel good, real good!

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

To know that there are people of your caliber that agree with me on this issue gives me hope and makes me feel less alienated. In my opinion your observations and conclusions are right in the center of the target.

Although some of the causes championed by ACLU gave me pause, they do come down on the side of civil liberties. As a bonus, the extreme right seems to hate them.
That has to be a good thing, ey?

10/08/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Paul, are you, or have you ever been, a card-carrying member of the ACLU? That's the kind of question that those who fear would pose to you, as though the very fact that you carry that card is equated with some sort of evil. This says volumes about the persons asking the question. Matter of fact, the very first part of the question has been used to intimidate, when answering it should be a sign of pride and conviction. "Are you, or have you ever been, a card-carrying member of (fill in the blank)". Hell yea, I carry every friggin card I can cram into my wallet, if doing so scares you SOB's so much. SEND ME MORE!

10/09/2006 01:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home