Saturday, September 30, 2006

Marriage Secrets

“Our highly-trained staff create memorable teambuilding experiences through a variety of challenges involving poles, cables, platforms and ropes 12-40 feet above the ground.”

It sounded like fun to me and Julie agreed. This morning we will participate in a Couples Challenge Course. This afternoon we’re going to a resort near Phoenix. Temperatures are predicted to be 98-104 degrees so the swimming will be welcomed. We have a DVD for tonight, good books and plans for a fun weekend.

I read in 31 Secrets of Happily Married Couples that happily married couples have just as many problems as unhappily married couples. A difference between the two groups is that happily married couples have more good experiences. It’s simple accounting. Put five good experiences into the marriage account, take out one for a disagreement and four good experiences are left. The account isn’t overdrawn.

It’s so simple. Why didn’t I know this in my first marriage?

8 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

The math is so simple. Everybody should be educated about this.

9/30/2006 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I call it emotional capital. Sometimes confused with "What have you done for me lately?", but something like that.

10/01/2006 06:37:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

I'm not sure I'm joking when I say all my previous relationships were diversions to entertain and educate me while I was waiting to meet the right person.

10/01/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Round Belly said...

I was taught that the magic ratio is 7 to 1. Seven good experineces for every bad to keep a happy marriage.

Need a few more good ones? Go giver her a back rub.

10/01/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

It’s so simple. Why didn’t I know this in my first marriage?

It takkes 2 to Tango

10/01/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Gaye said...

Ever wonder how these huge banks are popping up everywhere? Gigantic overdraft charges from overdrawn accounts of course. Most people can't manage money or relationships. I worked in a bank for 12 years... the accounts that thrived were managed by people that put effort into each transaction... 2 people have to put forth effort in interaction for a relationship to work which can make the math a nightmare.

10/01/2006 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Maybe your first wife had you so pissed off all the time the idea never could have occured to you........

10/02/2006 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

I'm grateful to read this - it seems so obviously true - and gives me hope that the secret to a good relationship is as much the individuals involved (as aggregates of personality traits, interests, and the like) as well as the effort they put into it...

10/14/2006 02:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home