Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Tool I Hate

I hate it!

I don’t like the word hate and try to avoid using the term but I HATE IT.

I hate money.

I’m not certain what money is. Sometimes it’s silver and nickel and copper and paper. Most of my money is simply a concept and not tangible. It’s figures – amounts -- recorded on hard drives in computers somewhere in this country – or perhaps some other countries.

So, it appears my money is simply a concept. But I still hate it.

Why? I’ve asked that question of myself.

Here are some of the answers that I’ve discovered.

Money is a master that makes slaves of many people. I want to be free.

Money is a man-made creation that elevates itself to an unworthy god. I want no gods.

Money is a deceiver that promises happiness but it’s a vain promise. I need no vain promises.

Money is a catalyst that sometimes brings out the worst in people – greed and dishonesty and violence. I want to avoid this evil.

Money is a thief that attempts to rob me of my time and opportunities. These are more valuable.

Why do I not want it like so many others? Why am I content with a little? I don’t know the answers to these questions but I do know money is a necessity and a tool. As such, I’ll earn it and mange it and use it. And all the while I’ll hate it.

1 Comments:

Blogger George Breed said...

Reminds me of that Jesus story where he was asked if it was okay to give tribute to Caesar. And Jesus said, "Anybody here have any money?" Of course the story goes on from there, but I really like this part. Jesus walked around without any money! It wasn't an important item in his life.

Wonder what he would think of all this prosperity preaching today?

9/10/2005 02:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home