Friday, May 13, 2011

Rhubarb Pie

We had dessert this evening. Rhubarb pie!

Thirty-eight years ago, with dreams of rhubarb pie, I planted rhubarb for the first time. Shortly after I moved. A few years later I planted rhubarb a second time on rented property with no plans to move. But, shortly after I did. Jump forward another few years. I owned the land so I planted rhubarb. I no longer own the property and I never harvested rhubarb.

Rhubarb Pie.
Rhubarb Pie.


Last year I planted three crowns. Two did well but one was stunted. This spring the three began growing well and endured one night and day of snow. The stunted plant from last year is a fraction the size of the two larger plants. I have them in one bed planted a little closer than ideal. The two healthy plants bolted but I removed the flower stalks.

This afternoon Julie asked for some stalks so I pulled seven from the largest plant. After a few minutes of working together we had a pie in the oven.

While we worked I had two surprises. First, Julie had never make a rhubarb pie. This pie was her first. Second, Julie had never eaten rhubarb! That was a big surprise.

Her first pie was excellent. I've never had better.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not fair to a guy who hasn't broken his fast yet this morning!!

5/14/2011 05:29:00 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I've never made a pie with just rhubarb. But I have made a strawberry-rhubarb pie. Delicious! So I imagine just using rhubarb is equally mouth-watering! I assume Julie liked the pie?

5/14/2011 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger matka wariatka i domowa edukacja said...

mniam

http://thingstodobeforeudie.blogspot.com/

5/29/2011 09:19:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Having just met another blogger, I was thinking back to our meeting and realized that you had been silent for awhile. I do hope that all is well down there.

7/01/2011 05:20:00 AM  
Anonymous SimplyTim said...

Hey Paul,

Where are you? You ok?

Tim

7/03/2011 01:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home