Sunday, May 01, 2011

One Ends, Another Begins

Life has become too busy of late.

Last Monday Julie and I stayed in town to attend a CERT meeting (Community Emergency Response Team). I had to work part of the Friday on my day off, a responsibility that seems to be happening too frequently lately. Friday evening we had supper with neighbors followed by a night of games, a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Yesterday, Saturday, I attended a workshop for well owners while Julie had lunch with a friend, browsed an art show and ran errands. At the end of the day she met me and we had supper with two couples in town, a meal that occurs each fall and spring as one couple stops on their trip between summer and winter residences. It was another enjoyable evening.

I waffled on the well water workshop. I wanted to attend but wanted to spend the day in the garden. As I drove to town I felt a growing sense of anticipation. The workshop was excellent and the time passed quickly because the speakers and material were fascinating. I don't own a well and have no plans for a well but water is critical. Recently the local newspaper published articles about reduced flows in rivers and concerns that we are entering a thousand years drought. The workshop presented information on geology, legal issues related to wells, information about installing a well, water quality, filtration options and cleaning cisterns. At the end a local representative presented information about hauling water. In the unincorporated areas of the county seventy-five percent of residents haul water. It was a good workshop. I'm glad I attended.

One week ends and another begins. Tomorrow we have a local community meeting and on Tuesday evening we are registered for a training session for weather spotters.

All of these things are good but they take time from gardening, reading, necessary tasks, shared time with Julie and personal time. Next weekend I hope the weather is right and we can take an over-night trip on the motorcycle. Just a fun trip with no specific itinerary or route.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Question: I realize drilling a well would be a very expensive project. In the long run, (possibly paranoid long run), wouldn't it be better to have your own water rather than water controlled by the government or another private party?

5/01/2011 09:38:00 PM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I'm glad to know you are living life.

5/02/2011 04:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home