Monday, August 03, 2009

Who Is That?

I look out at the world and feel 30 and life is good. But, then I see a photo of myself and ask "who is that old man?". I don't feel as old as the photo makes me look. How did that happen?

Bald head.
Julie took a photo of a new kitten and I happened to be in the background. I cut this image from her photo.


I'm don't mind being bald; in fact,I prefer it but I never anticipated being bald. When I was a teenager I didn't see bald uncles or older cousins who were bald so I assumed I would always have a full head of hair.

My father thinned a little in the crown of his head and I have good memories of that time. More than once my older sister, Jean, would walk behind the chair in which my father was sitting and would start laughing. She would rub the crown of his head and tell him he was going bald. He always returned the teasing comment with a smile and some playful response. I'm sure his example made it easy to first accept my loss of hair.

I don't care that I'm bald. I don't have to look at myself, I don't have to comb my hair and I save money on shampoo. Most importantly, Julie doesn't mind.

I may be bald and look old but inside I still feel 30.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I still have a full head of hair but it IS turning silver more and more, and yes, mentally I am 35 but it's getting to where I want to avoid the mirrow lest I start acting my age.

8/03/2009 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger jules said...

I keep saying that I'm 38 (or 36, or 37 or 39, depending on the year) but I'm not. I wonder, I don't really know how one is supposed to act at my real age, so I don't suppose that I do, but it's strange. I look around and think that when I was in my 20's, people my age were OLD (to my youthful brain). When did I get OLD, and how is one supposed to act? I just keep on keeping on and hope for the best!

8/03/2009 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I always figured I'd be bald, but I'm disappointed that I wasn't disappointed.

8/03/2009 05:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home