Monday, July 20, 2009

Saturday and Sunday on Vacation

Saturday began with a trip to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. The volcano erupted about 800 years ago. For lunch we had Thai food. Central Kentucky where my family lives has no Thai restaurants so it a first for my grandsons. After lunch we bought tickets for the newest Harry Potter movie. I had never seen an HP movie so it was a first for me.

Yesterday, Sunday, we walked the Island Trail at Walnut Canyon National Monument and learned about the Sinagua people who lived in the cliff dwellings. For lunch we ate burritos at a local restaurant. Dustin ordered hot sauce on his burrito. The waitress said "OK" in a questioning way as she raised her eyebrows. He ate most of it and drank more than one glass of his mother's water rather than his soda drink.

In the afternoon we walked the length of Lava River Cave, the lava tube north of Flagstaff. We had visited it before going to San Diego but went only a short distance into the opening of the cave. Both Dustin and Dalton wanted to go father so the three of us slipped, stumbled and bumped our heads through the entire three-quarters of a mile that the cave winds underground.

Dustin and Dalton in a lava tube.
Dustin and Dalton in a low section of the lava tube. (Larger version)


After returning home I took Dustin and my daughter for a ride on the motorcycle. When Dawn and I returned Dustin asked "how was it?". Little did he know that his mother was riding her own motorcycle when she was 15, his age. We lived on a dead end street in the county where is was illegal but safe. I remember her riding hundreds of miles the first summer after we bought it.

Not surprising, the last two weeks have brought back lots of good memories.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Wish I was having half as much fun. Gotta go move a goat......

7/20/2009 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

I remember Walnut Canyon - I actually liked it better than the Grand Canyon. Easier access.

7/20/2009 01:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home