Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot!

We are home. San Diego's pleasant temperatures in the upper seventies are behind us.

After nearing Flagstaff Julie phoned a friend who said the city has broken a record high for the day with 92 degrees. Our house is generally about 10 degrees warmer so we anticipate temperatures slightly above 100 for the next few days. No, we don't have air conditioning.

Yesterday, east of Yuma, the temperature peaked at 116 shortly after we passed a border patrol checkpoint. The employees were wearing long sleeved dark uniforms. I didn't feel for them because they were in control and could move to shade or get water as needed. It was the dogs that caught my attention.

I looked at the dogs' feet to see if they were wearing protection against the backtop road. Nothing! As we got closer I saw a water hose hooked to cistern. The hose had been placed on the blacktop so the water ran along an area beside vehicles stopped for inspection. This cooled the road surface for the dogs and gave them water to drink.

A pickup truck in front of us got the interest of the dog working our lane. The driver was instructed to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. As the vehicle moved forward the dog strained against the leash to follow the vehicle. In spite of the heat this dog was eager to stay on the scent. I'm always amazed by working dogs regardless of their speciality.

Gas Gauge Past Empty.
Gas gauge past empty.


I made a major blunder on the trip to San Diego. We stayed in Yuma, took our time having breakfast and left for the last leg of the trip. Several miles west of Yuma as we drove through the Algodones sand dunes I had a sudden horrifying thought. I had failed to get gas! I checked the gauge to find the warning light illuminated and the needle past empty. We came to another border patrol checkpoint and I asked for the closest filling station. We were half way so we chose to continue rather than turning back to Yuma. The temperature was 114. Interestingly, my grandsons lost interest in their electronic devices and began watching the gas gauge and the mileage posts.

We made it and everyone sighed with relief.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am not understanding the border issue. You didn't cross in and out of Mexico did you?

7/18/2009 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

Most of the time the car gets to go gulp, gulp.

This time, you got to go gulp!

Tim

7/18/2009 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I'll always remember La Jolla cove.

I did boot camp in San Diego.

7/18/2009 06:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home