Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What Are You Reading?

I enjoy asking the question "what are you reading?". Reading opens new worlds for me and I'm curious as to the worlds being discovered by other readers.

After I finished graduate school and had the time to read for pleasure I set a goal of reading 26 books a year, one every two weeks. I looked for books of descriptive writing, poetry and plays. I wanted material that in no way resembled a scholarly text book. I wanted to read like eating a meal. It was to be an experience to enjoy in the moment and to forget. I thrilled at reading for pleasure without attempting to disect, memorize and prepare for an exam -- a moment with a piece of written art.

Now, I read for various reasons. Other than reading technical manuals as part of my job, reading is a pleasant experience of self indulgence.

"What am I reading?"

I've added my reading list to the side of my blog.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Well Paul ya see I got this prob I just cant figure out how to make the book work. But bright guy that I am I called "helpdesk" I'd advise all your hesitant readers to consider doing that also. for more info go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

I am here to tell you that they really turned my life around!

Tim

7/01/2009 04:41:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Right now I'm reading "Soul Survivor", the story of the reincarnation of a WWII fighter pilot in a young toddler in Louisiana.

Downloaded to my Kindle iPod Touch application, which seems perverse in some weird way........

Perhaps THIS is the "killer ap" that might save some trees?

7/01/2009 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Right now I'm reading Little Heathens, Hard times and High spirits on an Iowa Farm during the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish and Month-by-Month Gardening in the South by Don Hastings.

7/02/2009 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

I'm reading "Zen and Now," by Mark Richardson. The author, riding an old Suzuki, retraces the route and stops of Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" journey.

7/11/2009 03:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/03/2009 12:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home